This home is a series of pavilions facing west towards the Pittwater, screened in part by the trees and bush, indigenous to this area. It was originally a small holiday house designed by Peter Muller in 1955/56. Over time, additions have been made, but the footprint of the original house remains. The house was in need of extensive renovation and repairs, so we worked closely with the owners and builder to achieve a renovation that respects the original architecture; updating the interiors and extending the main deck to take advantage of the views and aspect. We kept the original timber floorboards, window frames and doors (except the front door), as well as the exterior pavers.
In rearranging the original floor-plan, we designed a larger kitchen that integrates with the main living space inserted a floating fireplace and defined the entry with a wall of joinery punctuated with openings designed to display the owners’ collection of old African stools. The bathrooms were re-designed and refurbished – with the main en-suite, which is bound by floor to ceiling windows on two sides, surrounded by nature and with a ‘floating’ vanity.
Hare + Klein Design Team:
Dimity Chitty + Cristina Repeti + Meryl Hare